[WIP] Smart Roadster Hybrid

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Anders

[WIP] Smart Roadster Hybrid

Post by Anders »

IMG_20230820_104726.jpg
I've finished my first relatively simple EV project (The motorcycle behind the roadster in the picture) so I figured it's time to start something very complicated.
Link to the bike project thread

Why Hybrid?
The car has to keep up with ICE cars both during track days and during multiday roadtrips, and it's way too small to be able to fit enough batteries in it to do days of 6h+ spirited driving.
Series hybrid could be an option but this would require a battery large enough to supply the wanted 180kW of power for prolonged periods of time.

Goals
The maximum power output a homebuilt/modified car is allowed to have in Sweden where I'm located is currently 20kW per 100kg. So naturally that's the goal, which ends up being somewhere around 180kW of power. I'm allowed to run a electric traction motor in parallel with the ICE engine as long as I tune the configuration so that they don't produce more than the power-limit together.
So the idea is to run a Hayabusa or equivalent high power motorcycle engine in parallel with a smallish EV motor (Outlander front motor/generator maybe?). With the EV motor filling in the torque gaps of the motorcycle engine in lower rpm. As well as powering the vehicle in reverse.
But since no motorcycle engine makes 180kW out of the box I'd need to boost the ICE engines top end power as well, the smart way to do this is with a supercharger connected to the ICE engine, the fun way of doing this is to run the supercharger with a KIA HSG or similar small high voltage motor.

So ideally I'd use a small hybrid inverter that can already run two motors. I would like the traction motor to be capable enough to drive the car with the ICE engine turned off in slowspeed traffic etc as well as doing the previously mentioned torque-fill role. The logical choice would be the KIA Hybrid inverter that goes with the HSG, but don't think that's been cracked yet.

Parts
Inverter: Prius gen 3 with Damiens dualmotor board?
Tractionmotor: Outlander generator?
Supercharger motor: Kia HSG (Have one already)
Batteries: Kia E-niro PHEV modules ?

I recently bought a home with a garage and I have a spare rear subframe to build on, so the project has no set time limits. Took me about 5 years to get the motorcycle road legal, and I have no delusions of this going any faster.
I have access to a pretty well stocked makerspace workshop so shouldn't be too difficult to do most of the mechanical stuff.

Open to suggestions on what EV parts to use. Seems like people haven't been getting great performance out of the Prius inverter + outlander motor combo so maybe something else is better? This far the only EV part I've bought is the KIA HSG, so everything else could still be changed.
0tik

Re: [WIP] Smart Roadster Hybrid

Post by 0tik »

>But since no motorcycle engine makes 180kW out of the box I'd need to boost the ICE engines top end power as well, the smart way to do this is with a supercharger connected to the ICE engine, the fun way of doing this is to run the supercharger with a KIA HSG or similar small high voltage motor.

You just described hybrid system of F1 bolids.
By the way. New speed and braking world record was achieved by a car with 0 (none) hybrid systems. By this I mean to say that if you want racing car - typical hybrid is not the way to go.

Insight's inverter has been cracked already with lebowski brain. Don't ask me for details, I don't know how to make one.

I think the easiest way would be to buy Opel ampera. Strip the engine of auxiliaries until it stops working. Put all the necessary guts inside your smart. Done. You could save weight by using high power batteries from new cars rather than OEM one. Half easy to do if cells have the same capacity- just rewire. Quite difficult when you have to spoof OEM battery. Is the voltage the same?
I'm not sure if power from mg1 can be directly sent to mg2 by open inverter hardware, if you're going to use coupled motors like in volt/Toyota/outlander.

BUT HEAR ME OUT

MIATA! But with 50kw ICE engine coupled to 450h tranny. Battery of your choosing. Now make some code that equalizes ice power output+mg1 regen according to power demand (throttle pedal) and battery max power draw. During cruising ice works as a range extender turning on and off around 50% soh or whatever you choose (as it usually draws 15-30kw from battery). 80kw from BMW pack + 50kw from ice is more than enough for overtaking. If you feel more fancy, you can make your own LTO battery for more power. Good luck finding an ice that would work efficiently (like Atkinson cycle or a diesel) without much auxiliary electronics. Open source ECUs like speeduino also exist. And by the way there's plug n play kit for Miata.

There's one but (apart from money)- calculate weight added by this insanity.

Also there was a thread - someone converted pick up truck into hybrid, but I can't find it.

I just took a step back and re-read your post. Simple answer would be - just buy new hybrid Yaris GR.
Now the real men's answer is- this could work! Weld one hsg to the turbo and the other one to the tranny. Link turbo HSG to throttle. For EV mode make a switch that idles ICE and turbo hsg. Pick neutral gear and it's EV mode. Of course making logic for when to use hsg for propulsion and when for regen is not easy but once you weld and bolt everything together it's just a matter of tuning. I wonder how big battery would need to be though. If you actually can fit phev battery in there, then you can swap HSG for something more powerful.
jrbe

Re: [WIP] Smart Roadster Hybrid

Post by jrbe »

There are 48v e-assist turbos and 48v superchargers that oems use and make real power (I don't mean the eBay toys.) The turbo can be used for energy recouperation at certain times.