BMW i3 CCS/charge port controller

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
alexbeatle

Re: BMW i3 CCS/charge port controller

Post by alexbeatle »

I got my Type1 LIM. Right away it started behaving and responding much more predictable. P/N: 61359380352

Question: For the Type 1 socket does the plug latch need to be commanded to lock, i.e. message sent?

My LIM doesn't activate the latch nor when plug is inserted nor when charge completed.
After cracking open and fixing the latch cam mechanism, the latch feedbacks 1kOhm when unlocked, 11kOhm when locked.
(Fun fact, on Type1 BWM latch, if the latch is engaged without the plug inserted, there's a small edge on the cam that presses the button and makes the FB read 1kOhm just like when unlatched - someone posted good pictures)

I also tried sending the OBD reset as somebody suggested, but without a luck.
christoph wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:27 pm Meh, my LIM stopped locking the charging port when I plug in 😕 I measured the lock, it’s 1 kΩ unlocked, 11 kΩ locked as it should be.
Problem solved by sending a OBD reset:
https://github.com/cschleifenbaum/Stm32 ... 901d1e09e6
The lock status always remains in error state according to LIM.
image.png
image.png (11.36 KiB) Viewed 390 times
LIM however reads the wall charger info, pilot, gives a-ok to charge, which I use it to kick BMS to wake AC charger via CAN and the charger wakes up. Though I don't have HV connected to the charger yet, but the charger starts sending back healthy status messages and detects AC on input. Wall charger says the car is charging.
Charge port LED is white when nothing plugged in; slowly pulsing blue during charge and green when finished.

Logs..
Plugged in..
image.png
Pressed stop charging button..
image.png
Unplugged..
image.png
Edit: I also put a scope on the latch motor outputs of the LIM. Doesn't look like LIM is even trying to kick the motor.
Attachments
image.png
alexbeatle

Post by alexbeatle »

So I tried both wiring versions per wiki without luck. - Lock pin#3 to ground or lock pin#3 connected to lock pin#4.
I plugged in my Type2 LIM and it immediately detected the inlet lock correctly! Measuring voltages on the feedback leg 1B-16 I'm getting same voltage values but opposite polarities on Type2 vs. Type1 LIMs. Connection error? How can it be inverted?
Type 2 LIM:
1. Leave inlet lock pin #3 floating - 1B-16 reads -4.26VDC
2. Connect lock pin #3 to ground - 1B-16 reads -0.76VDC in unlocked, and -2.94VDC in locked state
Type 1 LIM:
1. Leave inlet lock pin #3 floating - 1B-16 reads +4.26VDC
2. Connect lock pin #3 to ground - 1B-16 reads +0.76VDC in unlocked, and +2.94VDC in locked state
If I connect the lock pin #3 to #4 as per one of the diagrams, the feedback 1B-16 reads constant +4.3VDC no matter the lock position.
image.png
image.png
alexbeatle

Post by alexbeatle »

To close the loop.
Speaking with @Shockazulu1 who used ZombieVCU + Type 1 LIM + Type 1 i3 charge port combo to successfully charge in the US. LIM does not lock the inlet on his vehicle during the AC charging either, but it does during the DC charging. Yet another difference for the Type 1 vehicles!?
Guess I'll see how it goes at the public AC and DC chargers.
He uses this diagram:
image.png
Big thanks to @Shockazulu1!
asavage

Post by asavage »

That's my diagram :)
Ricky is successfully charging his RAV4 EV, using the LIM and i3 Charge Inlet that I sold him a while back.

Could you edit the Wiki to add that information (Type 1 LIM does not lock Charge Inlet when AC Charging; Type 2 LIM does)?
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Type 1 LIM does not lock Charge Inlet when AC Charging:
-the switch in the charging handle is also the unlock trigger for the catch on the handle. Some EVSEs with tehered type 1s do not have any other way to stop charge.

Type 2 LIM locks Charge Inlet when DC Charging:
-required by charging standards

Type 2 Lim always locks when charging
-required by charging standards
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
alexbeatle

Post by alexbeatle »

tom91 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:17 pm Type 1 LIM does not lock Charge Inlet when AC Charging:
-the switch in the charging handle is also the unlock trigger for the catch on the handle. Some EVSEs with tehered type 1s do not have any other way to stop charge.
Good point. I have a separate button to stop the charge, but LIM also reports when the Type 1 plug handle button is pressed, so gotta use that to exit to exit my charge routine.